Local Grief Support Groups
|Nelsen Funeral Home Support Groups|
- Healing Hearts: Support After the Loss of a Loved One Richmond: Second Monday of each month at the Sandston Recreation Center, 11 J. B. Finley Road, Sandston, 6:00 - 7:30
- Young Widows or Widowers Group: for anyone under the age of 55 who has lost a spouse or life partner, Call (804) 909-0123. Meets 2nd Tuesday of the month.
- Emerging From Darkness: Suicide Survivors Group: 4th Thursday each month, 6 PM to 7:30, Sandston Library.
- Healing After Suicide, Call Mary Douglas Krout, (804) 458-3895. Meets at John Randolph Medical Center, Hopewell, 1st & 3rd Wednesday of each month, 7 PM - 8:30
- Bon Secours Hospice, Call Gwen Reed (804) 627-5372. 8580 Magellan Parkway, Richmond, VA. Groups scheduled throughout the year. www.bonsecours.com
- Heartland Health Care and Hospice, Tanya McKeithen, (804) 288-0235 Third Thursday of each month 4 PM - 5:30 at 1504 Santa Rosa Road, Ste. 114, Richmond, VA. www.heartlandhospice.com
- Hospice of Virginia, Call Fran Albro at (804) 281-0451. Every other Thursday from 3:30 - 5 PM and 5 PM - 6:30 at 7231 Forest Ave, Ste. 100, Richmond, VA www.hospiceva.com
- Noah's Children Pediatric Hospice, Contact Kathy Lesher at 287-7686.
- The Compassionate Friends (TCF) (www.compassionatefriends.org) Hopewell: Call Stacia Lee (804) 898-4885. 4th Thursday each month, 7:00 - 8:30,
- TCF Ashland: Call Becky Barnes (804) 798-0221 Ashland Church of God, 406 Myrtle Street, Ashland, VA 1st Wednesday each month, 7:30 PM,
- Group for Bereaved Parents: Becky Barnes (804) 798-0221 Church of the Creator, 7159 Mechanicsville Turnpike, Mechanicsville, VA 3rd Sunday each month, 3:00,
- MISS (Mothers in Support & Sympathy) Twyla Powell, (804) 741-6562 Ext. 15 St. Mathias Church, 11300 Huguenot Road, Richmond, 3rd Monday each month, 7:00 - 8:30 (open to both mothers & fathers)
- Healing Voices: (for parents who've had a miscarriage, stillbirth, or SIDS loss.) Pat Franco, (804) 627-5371. 2nd Tuesday each month, Sheltering Arms wing of Memorial Regional Medical Center, Atlee Rd. 6-7:30pm,
- Comfort Zone Camp, Call Lynn Hughes (804) 377-3430. CZC is a camp for children who have lost a primary caregiver. Groups for children and adults are also offered through CZC.
- Full Circle Grief Center, Call Susie Nash at (804) 241-9662 or Allyson Drake at (804) 357-5924. An organization whose mission is to provide children with creative ways to express their grief and remember their loved one. Services to children and families are provided at no charge. Located at 10611 Patterson Ave, Ste. 201, Richmond. www.fullcirclegriefcenter.org
- LifeNet, Provides on-line services and resources for anyone in the community, and offers specialized services to donor families. Call Tommy Wilcockson at (804) 521-1916. www.healingthespirit.org
GriefShare: First Baptist Church, 800 Thompson Street, Ashland, VA. 13-week sessions, Spring and Fall, Call Joyce Parsley (804) 798-9014
- GriefShare: Poplar Springs Baptist Church, 5270 Charles City Rd Richmond, Call Laura McBride (804) 795-7316 or (804) 795-1238
- GriefShare: Immanuel Baptist Church, 620 Lafayette Ave, Colonial Heights, VA, (804) 526-3276
- GriefShare: Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, 3110 Greenwood Ave, Colonial Heights, VA , (804) 526-0816
- GriefShare: Cool Spring Baptist Church, 9283 Atlee Station Rd, Mechanicsville, VA, (804) 746-0800
- GriefShare: Mechanicsville Baptist Church, 8016 Atlee Rd, Mechanicsville, VA, (804) 746-7253
- GriefShare: Bethany Place Baptist Church, 1501 S. Providence Rd, Richmond, VA, (804) 276-9235
- GriefShare: Atlee Community Church, 7171 Verdi Lane, Mechanicsville, VA, (804) 730-3676
- GriefShare: Fairmount Christian Church, 6502 Creighton Rd, Mechanicsville, VA (804) 559-8070
- GriefShare: Mechanicsville Christian Center, 8061 Shady Grove Rd, Mechanicsville, VA, (804) 746-4303
Healing Hearts: Support After the Loss of a Loved one, sponsored by Nelsen Funeral Home, 2nd Wednesday of each month, noon to 1:30. Call (804) 909-0123
The Compassionate Friends, Julie Stanton, Meets at the Hospice House of Williamsburg, (757) 258-5166 www.compassionatefriends.org
Hospice House, 4445 Powhatan Parkway, Williamsburg, VA 23188 Call Allison DeLaney (757) 253-1220 www.williamsburghospice.org
KidzNGrief, a program of Bon Secours Hospice, Newport News. Call Beth Pile (757) 886-6615 http://www.bonsecourshamptonroads.com
Mikey's Camp, an outgrowth of the Kidz'NGrief program. Same contact information as above.
Sentara Hospice, Contact Cookie James, Bereavement Coordinator at (757) 549-5652. http://www.sentara.com
Suicide Survivor Group Will begin meeting in the 3rd week in October, 2010 at Williamsburg Community Chapel. A weekly group that will run through the end of October until Thanksgiving, resume in December and finish in January. Facilitated by Jeanne Forrest. For more information, call 804-909-0123.
Riverside Hospice, Offers bereavement support and grief counseling. Call Steven Brown at (757) 594-2745. www.riversideonline.com
Heartland Hospice, Call Ennis Gilbert, Bereavement Coordinator. (757) 594-8215 www.heartlandhospice.com
GriefShare: Williamsburg Community Chapel, 3899 John Tyler Highway, Williamsburg, VA, Carol Williams (757) 229-7152
GriefShare: Petsworth Baptist Church, 2471 Hickory Fork Rd, Gloucester, VA , (804) 693-3024
GriefShare: World Outreach Worship Center, 1233 Shields Rd, Newport News, VA, (757) 874-1223
GriefShare: First Baptist Church Denbigh, 3628 Campbell Rd, Newport News, VA (757) 877-5808
Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) Call Bonnie Carroll 1-800-368-TAPS. For survivors of military deaths. www.taps.org
Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), www.madd.org or www.maddva.org Va. Office: 353-7121
National Organizations to support survivors of suicide
Survivors of Suicide: www.sossd.org
American Assoc. of Suicidology: www.suicidology.org
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: www.afsp.org
The Dougy Center, 1-866-775-5683. www.dougy.org Support for grieving children
The MISS Foundation, www.missfoundation.org (Mothers in Sympathy and Support)
The Compassionate Friends, www.compassionatefriends.org (For parents and grandparents who have lost a child or grandchild)
Concerns of Police Survivors (COPS), www.nationalcops.org provides resources to assist in the rebuilding of the lives of surviving families of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty.